Thursday, May 15, 2008

Shoaib, Sachin and the Chepauk...

The atmosphere is tense... the crowd is agitated but silent... the last ball was a wide... the bowler waits for the batsman.. a slow murmur... gathers momentum... the bowler begins his looong run up... the cry begins... "SHOIAB SHOAIB..." becomes a high pitch as shoaib runs in at full pace and shoots the ball....... and... OUT!!!!! The crowd goes wild....!!!! Sehwag the danger guy is back in the pavillion.

I can hardly believe that hardly a year ago or somethin like that this same crowd was cheering every six of this very same Sehwag against this same Shoaib. The funnier part was when all the bowlers in the Kolkata team where calling Shoaib...-" Shoaib bhai is such a nice guy. A great honour playing with him." Shoaib bhai???? Ok I can even understand the cricketers' change in attitude, because, for them, it has always been about the game and well the money of course. And they do respect the commitments to their country and all that... Its the fans that shock me.

I gather from this that its all a matter of choice. And what with SRK playing 13th man it is alluring... Like I had to write this piece. Could have avoided it. It is all a matter of choice. But I have to tell you seeing a match live at the stadium is such an experience.Otherworldly. My first match was the one at Chepauk between our own Super kings and the Kings XI Punjab. AWESOME.. JUST AWESOME. And to top it off of course we won. The atmosphere is some other thing. The first few balls was jarring without the commentary but I soon cottoned to it and totally let my hair down shouting, dancing and all that jazz.. ( Forgive the Peter. GRE you know..) And the other great thing was to see the first hat trick of the ipl up close and personal. (I love Balaji). So whats the point?? The point is that it is a must see experience... And one you can very well do with. I have to thank Anirudh (my best friend) for this ultimate oppurtunity.

Well to finish: Tomorrow when Sachin goes to the Eden Gardens and gives the treatment to Shoaib will the crowd forget its assumed role and cheer. Or............????

I love to write with these dramatic endings and then spoil it all by doing this.... Chow guys, until next time....

No comments:

Post a Comment